2008年6月9日 星期一

Australian studying experience

Written by Tim
Q: Why do you choose Taiwan to be an exchange student?
Actually, I am struggling for where to go among China, Japan, and Taiwan. After I found a lot of information on the Internet and asked my friends who have been to China, I know China is quiet polluted and people would even spit almost everywhere. As for Japan, I would like to improve my Japanese, but learning Chinese in Taiwan only for one semester would be too short for me. Therefore, I choose Taiwan to have my exchange year. Besides, Taiwan is a very homogeneous country and was colonized by Japan before. I think I am still able to practice my Japanese in Taiwan.

Q: Do you experience any culture shock in terms of people, society, technology, and business?
People are hard to imagine an Austrian that would be non-white people. Probably they lack international viewpoint or they just refuse to understand. Taiwanese are always curious about where I am from. ‘I am an Australian’ said I. They just scrutinize me again from my head to the foot again and again and burst out laughing. I just couldn’t understand their intension of the laughing. I find it make me feel not so good. For example, I went to watch a baseball game two months ago with another white Australian. Even I wore a Australian flag on my back, but none of the Taiwanese asked any question of Australia. Instead, they turned into asking the other white Australian even though he didn’t wear any accessory to make him look Australian. Taiwanese subjectively regard him as Australian rather than me.
Taiwanese are highly engaged in politics. Though I haven’t made a lot of Taiwanese friends, I still remembered countless campaigns before the presidential election. That indicated that Taiwanese are concerned about their public affairs. I wish I can make more Taiwanese friends and experience real local people’s lives.
I used to work in the electrical shop; hence, I have basic knowledge on it. I still remember the first time visiting NOVA in Taichung. I am amazed by seeing lots and lots high-end technological products. Those made me understand that Taiwanese are good at math and logic, so they are able to develop those innovative products. And the big part of gross domestic product(GDP) is composed of the technological industry. Therefore, the importance of technology can’t be overemphasized for Taiwan.
So many small businesses are around Taiwan. I personally love this phenomenon. That means local business is not manipulated by the other multi-national company. And people in Taiwan are really nice and good at starting a new business. I think Australian government should adopt this strategy because business in Australia is very money-oriented rather than business-oriented.

Q: Do you have any expectation before you go to Taiwan?
Taiwan is famous for the name of Formosa. I dream about climbing all of the mountains in Taiwan. Besides, I thought National Chung Hsing University should be located in the high mountain and reserved forests are surrounded by National Chung Hsing University. However, the first day I came to Taiwan, and then I know my dream is shattering into pieces. Buildings and developed cityscapes are everywhere while I am on my way to NCHU from the airport.
The other expectation is the dragon boat festival. I would like to join the dragon boat club. My other dream breaks as well. I wish I can study in northern or southern universities so that I can attend the kinds of club. But Taichung is really good place to have a lot of fun. I won’t regret coming to Taichung, Taiwan.

Q: During the preparation for coming to Taiwan, what impressed you the most?
Well, I have no worry after arriving to Taiwan, but coming to Taiwan would be another thing for me. I am kind of half organized and half unorganized person. I got my student visa the next day I flew to Taiwan. I would say everything is very dangerous at the time, but I was not my fault because I have handed in all the required documents earlier to the deadline.
Before going to Taiwan, I have traveled around all the South East Asia. But I can’t stay in the same country over seven days because of the validity of the visa. My last stop is Hong Kong. It’s just as well that I got my Taiwanese student visa on September thirteenth. If I was not receiving my visa, I needed to get back to Australia and missed my booked ticket to Taiwan.
However, the travel experiences help me a lot to adjust myself to Taiwanese life. For example, I have tried a lot of street food while I was traveling. I got terrible diarrhea and vomiting. On the other hand, the days I stay in Hong Kong also helps me a lot. The Chinese environments there make me mentally and physically prepare enough to embrace my exchange year in Taiwan.

Q: What kinds of characteristics do you have to make you an exchange student?
I am perseverant, open-minded, and considerate. Besides, I have taken a subject, Sociology that provides me with a better understands toward this world and equip me with better mindset. For example, I love meeting new people and trying to know more about the culture differences through getting along with them. This semester, I take a Japanese class lectured in Chinese which is too hard for me to understand it. But my learning desire drives me to endure to the end, and I did get everything over. I am so proud of my self-achievement.

Q: Why do you think the advantages and disadvantages of Taiwan?
Well, I can’t think about a lot of advantages in Taiwan now.
First, I think most Taiwanese only look upon America as the only foreign country in the world. Most Taiwanese’s dream is studying abroad in America in the future instead of England, Canada, or Australia. After the Imperialism in history, English has become one of the dominant languages in the world. America is just one of the English-speaking countries. It’s time for Taiwanese to open their minds and accept more diversified concepts of the world.
Second, the different treatment to people who are from the same country is just because of the difference of skin color. For example, my other Australian friend who is white can get better treatment while he is going to the same restaurant with me. One time, the boss even looked down on me and said something bad to me, but I still can’t understand what the menu means. However, the other Australian can get the English menu and get better treatment. I find it uncomfortable because we are from the country, Australia, but we get different treatments by Taiwanese.
Third, I find most professors get their degrees in America or most foreign professors’ nationalities are America. Under this education system, students can only get American viewpoint of the world rather than global viewpoints. Is Taiwan really America-oriented?

Q: What impressed you the most in Taiwan?
First, the cook way in Taiwan is really creative, especially the batter way of cooking. Flour mixed with eggs and water becomes batter. Then food can be blended with batter. Finally, food can be steamed, fried, and stirred. All kinds of cooking way could be found in Taiwan.
Second, the way of dressing is quite different Aussie, especially the cute clothes in Taiwan. No matter where it is in the night market or in the department store, I can easily distinguish the clothes made in Taiwan because they look really cute. Compared to Taiwan, I find a big similarities between Hong Kong and Australia in terms of dressing style.
I didn’t expect Taiwan would export so much cheap labor from other countries. One time I was idling around the Taichung Train Station. I suddenly found that many people are from South East Asia countries. Then I surf on the Internet, and I find that there are about ninety thousand labors from South East Asia. Sixty thousand are working in the factories; thirty thousand are nurses.

Q: How do you adjust yourself into Taiwanese life?
At the first, I am so happy to become an exchange student in Taiwan. Things are going smoothly with me. I feel so breezy and peaceful.
Three months later, some chemical reactions happen on my bodies. I feel unsettled all the time. Then I am trying to figure this out. I conclude two reasons for this feeling.
First, people look at me differently and treat me differently. For example, I get unfair treatment while I go to the restaurant. Besides, I would be laughed when people know I am from Australia. Even worse, I don’t know their intentions are positive or negative.
Second, I get confused with my transnational conflicts. My grandma was from Spain and my mom is Philippine, but I am an Australian. Sometimes, it’s really a big puzzlement for me.
As for how to adjust it, I understand that it is the environment to shape how Taiwanese thinks. Because they seldom see foreigners with non-white skin, that’s why they think in that. Gradually, I am able to understand it and not to care it a lot.
Besides, I would try to set up a good example. For example, some children would point me on the street and feel curious about. I know I am not attracting but I would try to leave a good impression on them so that they would not hate foreigners in the future.

1 則留言:

patricia 提到...

I am pretty sure that all students in Australia, both foreign and locals, are having the best time in college. Australia has a pretty neat number of great schools and universities to enroll at and they offer the best experience such as the outback experience and all the natural beauty of the country. One of my favorite is definitely a tour in the Opera house in Sydney. Awesome...